Table of Contents (Click to Open/Close)

The Ubiquitous HD2

By Reg Morris

I found a 1990 HD2 cancelled cover recently from Cawker City KS (population 600). I wondered where the Postmaster was sourcing the date type -- the 1990 year slug -- so I wrote to the Postmaster posing that and a couple of other questions.

Although the Postmaster did not answer that particular question, he did indicate the machine was an International Postal Supply Co Model HD2, Serial #1314, and cancelled his return letter with nice strikes of the cancellation on the back as well as over the stamp.

[International HD2 Machine ]

International HD2 Machine Image With Impression

Rick Small’s listing of the International HD markings show that Cawker City was using an HD machine as early as 1935. Four hundred HD machines were first installed in late 1935. These produced the so called HD1 straight line cancels. So, perhaps, the machine that produced that 1935 Cawker City HD1 type cancel was replaced in 1936 or so by a machine with a serial number around #1000 producing the well known wavy line, type HD2 type cancel. If this is so, it would mean that the Cawker City KS machine has been in service for over sixty years and is still going strong! I wonder how many Chamberlains will still be in service sixty years hence??

Other Links

MCS 1999 Forum Articles Summary and Links

MCS 1999 Forum Subject Index

Machine Cancel Society Publications Page

Main Machine Cancel Society Page

Boilerplate

Page Layout Design Made Possible by: Vanilla.

Webpage design by The Swanson Group

8/29/20, 4:07 PM